Monday, December 16, 2013

Top 25 Songs of 2013

Top 25 Songs of 2013


I generally express and excise my creative juices through photography, but music has always been a love of mine and if I'm processing pictures you can just about guarantee that I'm listening to some music that inspires me.  Music is after all the soundtrack to our lives.  2013 brought us some great tunes, and for me it was the year that electronic dance music and alternative rock hit the mainstream.  I'm all for technology and the sound it brings, but that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy the more stripped down sound of some drums, piano, and guitars.

This year, I've personally been on the lookout for some good songs to run to; so you may see a few more upbeat songs on the list.  So without overly scrutinizing the positioning of the songs in my list; here are my top 25 songs from the year that was 2013.

25) Leaving You - Auiden feat. Michael S


24) My Body - Young the Giant


23) Blood On the Leaves - Kanye West


22) The Mothers We Share - Chvrches


21) Supersoaker - Kings of Leon


20) Love Somebody- Maroon 5

19) The One That Got Away- The Civil Wars

18) Hurricane - MS MR


17) We're The Kids - Parade of Lights


16) 365 Days - ZZ Ward


15) 21 Flights - Heavy English


14) Pumpin Blood - NONONO


13) Gold - Sir Sly


12) Play by Play - Autre Ne Veut


11) Up In The Air - Thirty Seconds to Mars


10) Hold On, We're Going Home - Drake

Drake has had an incredible year, when he wasn't feuding with Chris Brown, with several hits.  This track really shows off the smoothness of Drake's voice and a bit of a diversion from his typical rap sound.  Drake mentioned in an interview with MTV that wanted a record that could be played at weddings.  Well I don't necessarily see this as a wedding song, but it definitely shows off his softer side.

9) Counting Stars - OneRepublic

Ryan Tedder strikes gold again; which is becoming a bit of a broken record.  In my humble opinion he is one of the greatest song writers of this generation, and I for one am enjoying experiencing his greatness.  This particular song received some interesting reaction from listeners.  When the song was first released it received a mediocre response at best, but as the song began to grow on people, it took off in popularity.  It is a song that many of us can relate to.  We are all so busy counting dollars and losing sleep trying to provide for our families in hopes one day we will be able to relax and just count the stars instead of dollars.

8) Monster - Eminem feat. Rihanna

Who says lighting can't strike twice?  I don't know about you but I'm really liking where the clean and sober Eminem is going these days.  His songs are showing some real maturity and this track is no different.  I believe it is easy to say that Eminem is one of the best lyricist of the current error if not of all time.  This song in particularly really shows off a nice contrast of the smooth vocals of Rihanna with the grit of Eminem.  I'm excited to see where Eminem goes from here; the journey has just begun.

7) Mirrors - Justin Timberlake

The current day King of Pop came back to the music scene, after a few year hiatus and some vocal issues, with a bang.  Justin showed that he's not ready to step down from the top and he still possesses the skills to keep us all moving.  The newly married Timberlake had to score some major points with his wife, Jessica Bail, with this track.  The track with inspired by his love for his wife and his grandparents.  This is the kind of song that builds as legacy.

6) Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

It has been impossible to be anywhere near a radio for too long that this song did not come on.  Imagine Dragons had one serious major-label debut with such hits as It's Time, Demons, and Radioactive.  Radioactive was the groups first top ten single on Billboard and broke a record for the slowest ascension to the Top 5 in chart history.  When I think of this song one word comes to mind, which is power.  The arrangement and vocals are all about power and front man Dan Reynolds throws every fiber of his being into this performance and it so pays off!

5) Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys

I remember the first time I heard this track on AltNation; I instantly connected with the melodic groove of the song.  Though the groove is somewhat melodic the song still has a hard edge to it.  Every time I hear this song it sticks in my head for the rest of the day; which frankly doesn't bother me.

4) White Noise - Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge

Is is just another example of electronic dance music (EDM) being accepted into the mainstream.  I'll have to admit that I hadn't caught onto this song until recently and I'm so glad I did.  I know now what all the fuss is about.  If you can sit still while you listen to this song you probably need to be checked to see if you have a pulse.  

3) Atlas - Coldplay

It appears that the Hunger Games has and is doing quite well at the box office, but the lead song from the soundtrack seemed to catch fire as well.  Coldplay has easily became one of the biggest rock bands in the world today and with songs like Atlas, that should be changing anytime soon.  This track actually is the first ever that Coldplay has ever recorded an original song for a soundtrack.  The song is more reminiscent of their earlier work such as their Parachutes album; which is something this huge fan missed a bit.  Undoubtedly, I was taken to the track the first time I heard it.  As always Chris Martin puts so much feeling in the delivery of the lyrics that you just can't help but to connect with the song.

2) Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood

This song has seen some heavy rotation on the radio for sure this year, but rest assured they are not a one trick pony.  The band's first full length album also contains others hits and personal favorites of mine such as Female Robbery and Afraid.  The band has an affinity for black and white; as everything I've ever found from them has been in black and white; which I like.  The song is very moody and listening to it I'm transported to a place and time and it invokes a distinct feeling every time.  The ability to paint such a vivid setting and emotions with a song leads me to believe we will be hear much more from this group and that excites me!

1) Royals - Lorde

If you've not heard of this sixteen year old phenom then you've been living under a rock.  I truly believe we have witnessed the birth of the next big thing.  I remember the first time I heard this song as I was listening to ALT 98.7 Los Angeles on iHeart radio.  Instantly, my ear perked up and I knew this was something different, interesting, and special.  Lorde wrote the song with Joel Little in a half an hour.  Are you serious?  The amount of talent is unquestionably extraordinary!  Lorde has received all kinds of of praise and accolades and she has earned it.  Lets just say the future is looking very bright with newcomers like this to carry the torch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment